Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Missed Long Shot.

Thursday October 30,2008, I had not gone hunting this particular morning but opted to instead stay at home with my wife and enjoy the morning with her. It was around 9:30 a.m. and we were getting ready to go into town to do some banking and pay bills when just as we where going out the door the phone rang. My dad called to tell me of three deer in the lake bed. I grabbed my bow as we went out the door and drove down to my parents house, as we passed by I could see the deer feeding along the left side of the field heading up toward the house. I turned the truck around and parked in front of the house so the deer couldn't see me and told my wife to go watch out the breakfast nook window. I got my bow and gear and went to the right side of the house and upon reaching the back corner then realized there was no more cover for me to get and closer. Checking the location of the deer, one was going back into the brush and the other two were still feeding toward the slope of the back yard. I knocked an arrow, drew back and realized the deer were about 80 yards from me and that I only had my bow sighted up to thirty yards. What I did next was a little outlandish but sometimes effective. I then began visualizing the sight pins that should have been set at forty-fifty-sixty-seventy and eighty yards then released the arrow. Though it was all just guess work the arrow flew just inches over the deers back and they ran off into the safety of the brush. I went to retrieve my arrow and the deer were standing in the brush, which as I approached my arrow spooked the deer running them further into the thick brush of cover. Lesson learned here was to next year set and practice with more yardage pins for those long shots.

2 comments:

Marian Ann Love said...

A deer hunter here in MS saw that he would have to make a long shot when he saw this buck on his trail cam and practice and hit the deer at 60 yds. It was a monster! Check out posting on Oct. 9, 2008.

deerslayer said...

Marian; I remember reading the article you posted and it was indeed a beatiful buck. The only difference was I haven't practiced any distance shots and mine was a doe.