Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Planning Ahead for 2010 Hunting Season.

The end of deer season has passed us by now and I've started compiling a list of landowners to visit in Rutherford County, Tennessee where I used to hunt growing up. Using this list I hope to be able to secure at least a couple of farms this year to hunt on with a couple of my hunting buddies and my grandkids. Though it may take an entire weekend or more time to do this I believe it will increase my chances of once again taking whitetail deer. Many of the landowners that I know have either gotten older or passed away and the farms either sold or passed on to family members but none the less I've got to try something. I talked to an old friend who is more like a family member and he told me that he hadn't hunted the area in over 20 years now. He told me that most of it was either leased out now or that the landowners weren't letting anybody hunt any more. There is one farm that I ask him about and he told me that the owner was letting anybody that wanted to hunt hunt it. This farm was one of my first farms to hunt when I started hunting whitetails some 40+ years ago and was where I took my first whitetail. The good thing is that I know the farm well and the deer trails and bedding areas but the bad news is that there may be too much hunting pressure on the farmland and I may have to hunt the thick brushy woods that's hard to get to even during daylight hours. In any event I'll be checking for land to hunt come spring and will also be checking some management areas around home for the short time trips to hunt. Fishing season is also coming on me now to so I'll be posting on my other blogs a bit more too about that so check those sites if I'm not posting here. I've been on Facebook alot now making new friends all over the world and adding just about everyone that sends me a request and have found several of our Outdoor Blogger Summit bloggers there as well so look us up and have a good year this year everyone.

2 comments:

Walter said...

I am going to keep you in my favorites and compare notes with you next year, as the 2010 strategies are implemented.

Good luck with the fishing!

deerslayer said...

ok Walter, I do my best to leave you all the notes I can and give you all my secrets to hunting new farms and old ones you haven't been to in some time. At the present I'm sending out friends with access to large farms with lots of deer hoping to land a couple of them ahead of schedule this year. I drove by a 1000 acre farm last weekend that is 2 1/2 hours from home but is close to family members so I'll have a place to stay while hunting. More in my next updated post I hope. Thanks for the visit and stay tuned in as things should get real good this year.