Sunday, December 7, 2008

Hunting A New Snowfall.



Monday morning December 1st, a new snow was on the ground. At first daylight I was in my stand trying to bare the elements of the wind and freezing cold. With a temperature of 17 degrees and winds blowing at 5 - 10 mph. it didn't take long for me to decide that I wasn't going to be in the woods long before I was ready to head for the house to warm up. I braved the weather for four hours before giving in to my bodies needs and climbing down from my stand. Slowly I made my way back into the field which was were the truck was parked and then found out that the wind was blowing even worst in the wide open. Luckily my hunting partners were already at the truck waiting on me to come out and came driving to my rescue from the cold.The bad news was the truck didn't have any heat but it did get us out of the cold wind and it wasn't long before we were back home with a hot fire going in the fireplace and trying to warm ourselves back up. Although none of us seen any deer this morning there was another hunter on the farm that took a nice wide six point buck just above my partners stand sites. Above you will find a couple of photos from this hunt.

2 comments:

EcoRover said...

I learned as a kid in the Alleghenies that with a fresh, quiet snow (and the wind in your face) you could sneak right up on bedded white-tail bucks.

Move VERY slow. Wear all fleece/wool.

I hunt elk with the same technique. Nothing like stalking through the doghair, north-facing benches to within 30 yards of a bedded bull!

deerslayer said...

EcoRover; thanks for stopping by. Sounds like a great technic, one that I haven't used in many years but may have to resort back too . Thanks for the tip.